Tuesday, May 28, 2013

800m Recap

Hello again everyone! So since I just received a message from ForrestCRN I will continue blogging for the time being. First up on the list is a recap of the State meet. So here it goes nothing

AA 800m
Going into this race Shawn Wolfe seemed to be like the clear favorite with the only time under 1:55. There were however some studs stacking the field behind him like Curt Jewett, Ryan Smathers, Dan Alexander and Jordan Jackson. The start of the race was one of the strangest I have ever seen with Shawn first false starting, then falling in the first few meters. After that they had the runners jog about 50m down the track and come back to the line. I feel this really freaked out some of the runners and the start showed how cautious they were. Curt Jewett went immediately to the back of the pack to block the wind. The first lap was lead by Dan Alexander with everyone still in the race. Around the back stretch Curt made a strong move to the front and took the lead. Around the final turn he held off a charging Smathers who took 2nd. I believe that being DQed from the mile motivated Curt greatly. I feel that even if he ran this race fresh and was not DQ he would not have won if not for the motivation of the mile loss. Smathers also had an excellent double coming back off a 1600m directly into the wind. The times of the race were relatively slow, but that is to be expected into the blistering wind of Shippensburg. It was a tough race for the top seed Shawn Wolfe, but he ran very well in his other events so this is just a minor setback for him.

Results:
1. Jewett 1:58.25
2. Smathers 1:59.06
3. Grim 1:59.84
4. Alexander 2:00.04
5. Wilt 2:00.44
6. Miller 2:00.83
7. Goodson 2:01.12
8. Brinkley 2:01.55

AAA 800m
This race was also very strange. Wiseman, many people's favorite to win the whole thing was unable to even make the final! It just goes to show that prelims can be just as important as finals when you are at the state level.  The field was composed of a lot of major studs with Kunzweiler, Brehm, Rivera, Logue, Stone, and Coburn in the field. I felt like going into this race without Wiseman in the field the state championship was Kunzwieler's for the taking. When the gun went off he went straight to the front taking the wind for the whole pack. This was ballsy for him, but if you want to get out of the pushing and shoving that comes with an 8. Kunzweiler had a solid lead on the chase pack at the bell, but you could tell they were all closing on him. Rounding the final turn there was a bit of contact and Kunzweiler went down. This left the door open for Brehm to storm home for the victory over Rivera and Logue. Now I know there is a lot of controversy over what actually happened. I was not close enough to tell but I do not think Brehm intentionally took him down. There is no way he would risk his own race to try and take down another runner. Brehm won the race and he deserves all the credit he received for winning it. It's difficult to say what would have happened if Kunzweiler had stayed up. I think it would have been a very interesting finish, but I think he takes the W. The rest of the field was very interesting as Rivera was 2nd and Logue was third. I would have liked to see Logue in a faster race because I feel like he can drop a fast time. Since The distance festival last year he hasn't had any really big wins. I feel like he has the potential to break 1:50 and the matchup between him and Brehm should be great for years to come. A nice race by Stone to grab 4th. I think he was disappointed in his finish, but I think the wind may have  affected him a lot. Also Coburn ran well on the double to grab 5th. I never really thought the 800m as his event but since Cumberland Valley established a 4x8 he's transitioned nicely.

Results:
1. Brehm 1:54.40
2. Rivera 1:55.73
3. Logue 1:56.37
4. Stone 1:57.31
5. Coburn 1:58.61
6. Nole 1:59.08
7. Caldwell 1:59.38
8. Wilhoite 2:00.16

I planned on doing some more of the recaps later but I thought I would break these up by event. I hope the first real post wasn't to rough for you guys. Any feedback would be appreciated.

11 comments:

  1. Good first post! Going forward, could you include finishing times as well? For most weekends with multiple meets I don't want to have to go all over Penn Track to find times, so maybe just put times in parentheses next to each runner.

    Thanks and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Henderon is kinda fast....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who is running at Henderson?

      Delete
  3. I understand that all of you dont want too many groups trying to blog in the wake of etrain's absence.
    However, since this blog looks like it may remain D1 oriented and distance oriented, although maybe not. I play on setting up a blog/site of some type throughout the summer. The blog would give more of a D3 focus but would try to touch on other districts.
    My specialty is boys, but the blog would try to showcase the best runners across all events and male/female.
    I would love to hear if there is some D3 interest and only want to continue a legacy of track conversation.
    Competiting blogs might be good, it would force more blogging to increase following. More blogs only mean more conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd rather see just 1 blog or I could maybe accept 2 blogs working in a pair of some sort (distance-all other events; boys-girls; east-west; macroanalysis-microanalysis; etc.) Eventually certain blogs would come out on top and dilute the potential visitors if there were only one. If you see PA's first post he comments that he will have no D1 bias but acknowledges that if D1 has the fastest times/best competition then it will therefore get more coverage. And also, this is why we have comments. If you would like to make D3 comments because you feel there is not fair coverage, then you have all the reason to do so. I really feel like too many competing blogs at this stage of the game could cause a break down for the whole system and outside of the frequent visitors, some may get lost in the whirlwind of it.

      Delete
    2. Sorry man but I do not like that idea. Let's keep it together. I like to think that PA XC/TF likes to keep it together and stay as one. It would only hurt the system and break it down even more. PADP (PA Dont Play. We should call him this. it would be easier to understand) has been nice enough to do this and he has even said he has no bias and he will try to cover as much as he can. Plus he has more than just him working on it. Don't worry. D3 will be covered. Just give this guy a chance

      Delete
    3. (FYI this is same guy as the original.)
      I'm all in for one blog. I only wanted to see if there was interest. I'm not quite sure who is running this, but I would love to help in anyway possible giving my own opinions.

      Delete
  4. Is Logue a sophomore or a junior? I've seen him listed as a sophomore more than once this year but I thought he was a sophomore last year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Logue is a Jr.

    The blogging will not be split up guys, no need to worry.

    Not sure who is doing this, but I have recently contacted them. RTJ and I are coming up with ideas and keeping into consideration everything that all of you have said. These blogs are for the people.

    Keep checking up on this blog. I am going to Spain this coming sunday and will be back on June 22nd. At that point I will be making some more decisions about the blogestsphere of PA Track and Field and my possible future in serving all of you wonderful people :)

    --ForrestCRN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Forrest! Forrest if there is still a chance you can talk to Jarrett (wow that was weird. im usually saying etrain) about getting something out there on twitter about this blog to let others know that something is still here I think that would really help. Thanks and have fun in Spain Forrest.

      Delete
  6. Quote from Tuesday's Patriot News Story on State Meet Highlights:

    "There was a very similar circumstance in the AAA boys' 800. Alec Kunzweiler of Cumberland Valley was seeded first and was leading the race with 150 meters to go. But there was contact between him and Brad Rivera of Bensalem, and Kunzweiler fell down. Zach Brehm of Carlisle had nothing to do with the collision, but was already in the process of making his move on the leaders when it occurred. Brehm passed by Kunzweiler, who would finish last, and Rivera, who finished second, to win the gold medal with a 1:54.40"

    ReplyDelete