Friday, May 31, 2013

Henderson Distance Festival Preview

Wow, first blog post for me. I've written up several of these to send to Etrain as discussion points, but I'm excited to be writing one for a blog, even if it isn't his :(

It's ForrestCRN here to bring you the preview of the Henderson Distance Festival. I thought maybe I'd be walking away as well, but this performance list got me really excited. Not sure if I'm going to make it down for the meet, but I'm still deciding. Anyway, here we go! I'll be just going down the performance list, you can find it at-- http://pa.milesplit.com/meets/135146/attachment/252563

Mixed 800m Run:
I'm assuming they do 12 per heat. Ferraiolo, Finney, and Hoyt have run some solid times this season, but have been fairly under the radar in the PA scene since they are in the independent league, look for them to drop some time in this race, I'm thinking a 1:53 for Ferraiolo. Not sure if he'll be heading down to Nat's, so this could be his last chance for a big PR. Garton didn't have a great pre-lim at States, so he'll be fired up to drop some time as will the Penncrest boys who missed finals in the 4x8. Gatchell is in at 1:55.9, but he had a huge split for Red Lion as there anchor, most likely 1:54 low. He could win the Mixed 800, so watch him for a big PR.

Others to note: Bilotta (He's ranked quite fast, but it seems to me La Salle is going 4x8 at Nat's by all indications of this meet. They've got sub 7:40 potential if not mid 7:30's if it all comes together right), Stratman, Collins (Henderson getting ready for a Nat's 4x8 as well?), Savage is in this looking to get some speed going into Nats, along with Brady and St. Peter from CV's 4x8. Kunzweiler and Coburn aren't in the meet, so that could mean this is the end of CV's 4x8 :(

Mixed 3000m Open Run:
The young guns Greco and Szuhaj will be going at it. Szuhaj ran his time from December, coming off of XC training. Lets see if he's ready to roll once again.

Mixed 1 Mile Run
Barchett is going to be looking for some redemption after states in this race. Seems like he's getting ready for the 4xMile at Nats. Caldwell will also be in the fast heat coming off a a great state meet. He's moving up to the mile, I'm interested to see what he can do.

Others to Note: Kazajian twins, Willig, Grace, Krump, and Knapp.

Men's Elite 800:
If they do 12 per heat the first 2 heats won't have any PA guys (Stone is the top guy at 25th), but we will see a few Alumni racing: Dawson, Lefebure, and Crits. I'm a big fan of Ledder, Bile, and FitzSimons as well. If you're a track and field fan, check out this race. 19 guys sub 1:50 seedings, should be really fricken fast.

HS Fast heat: Stone, Rivera, Wiseman, Moy, and Magee, Hunter, and Boyle. These last 3 are very over seeded in my opinion, but it I think Hunter will step up to hit this pace. I'm interested to see how Boyle does as he didn't have a great race in the 4x8 at states. Not sure if O'Hara will take a second shot at that relay come nationals. They have sub 7:50 potential in my mind. Wiseman is going to be the big story here. He missed finals at states after winning the district 1 title. It just wasn't his day at states, but oh man is he hungry. I fully expect him to win this outright in 1:51.30. Rivera tweeted about Nationals to Kyle Francis after the state meet, but he's the only Bensalem guy at the meet, so maybe he's going to run open 800 again like he did indoors. Wish we could see that relay in major competition like nationals though. I think he and Stone go 1:52 low. I'm excited to see Moy in an 800 again. It seemed to be his event until he dropped a bomb at districts running that 4:16.0. I think he could really mix it up with these guys for a 1:52.5. Seems like he'll be doing double or triple duty at nationals. Henderson has 3 relays to pick from. I've got to guess they load up the DMR and 4x1 Mile.

Men 1 Mile Run Elite:
I'm loving the seedings in this race by O'Hara. Smart hasn't run anything over 800 this season nor has Belfatto (who may have run the 1600 in one of the first meets), but I can't wait to see how quick they can go. I believe they break 4:20, but not far under. There is a high potential for one of them to blow-up though. This  looks like a test for a nationals 4xMile. I'm not sure how Coach Kelly will split up the heats in this, but if we go 8 and 13 maybe? I hope Todaro gets in the faster heat.

Predictions: I believe there is a rabbit, hopefully for both heats. I've heard rumors that the rabbit is going out in 2:02 to 2:04. This benefits the strength guys like Russell, Ritz, and Brehm. Logue fell off at Penn Relays after his big 1500, but I see this more as a preview for next season where I speculate he'll move up to the 1600. Kardish and Todaro will both be looking for a bit of redemption after states, and Brehm will look to prove himself as an honest racer along with being one of the top guys in the state.

I think this race plays perfectly out to Ritz. He's strong and he's fast. I think he'll be on Russell shoulder at 1200 and just take off. I'm hoping someone will take up the pace after the rabbit drops off. What can happen a lot is guys will go through in pace after the 800, but nobody takes up the mantle and it gets slow. Russell will most likely be taking the lead, although Kardish, if around, may go for it as well.

Ritz- 4:09.81
Russell - 4:10.54
Coyle - 4:10.71 (won't be able to kick Russell down)
Brehm - 4:11.67
Todaro - 4:12.96
Kardish - 4:16.32
Ritz (S) - 4:16.46
Logue - 4:18.23

As for the other heat we got Jewett, Pastore, Aziz, Wistar, Kennedy, James, Smart, and Belfatto.
I'm really glad that Jewett and Kennedy made the trip out here for this race. Hoping someone in the near future sets up a distance festival in Western PA. A fast pace will benefit these two along with Wistar and James. I think James takes the lead after the Rabbit but with Jewett pushing him the whole way. I can tell Jewett really wanted to go at it with Smathers in the 16, and he'll be out for blood.

James - 4:12.15
Jewett - 4:12.80
Wistar - 4:14.76
Kennedy - 4:17.56 - We haven't seen a fast 1600 out of him all season, so i'm excited to see what shape he's in for this race. He could surprise with a 4:15.
Belfatto - 4:18.96
Aziz - 4:19.02
Smart - 4:22.58
Pastore - 4:23.81

1500m Elite

Coyle is also entered in this race. I hope he runs the 1 Mile, although I think time equivalent wise he can do better in the 1500. Make sure to check out this race. Schilit placed second at D3 Nationals and there is a slew of amazing runners from the NJ/NY track club.

Sorry for the long post but I hope I got everything! Comment away, and maybe I'll see some of you at the meet!

--ForrestCRN


3 comments:

  1. Great post. Hope u get there to give us eyewitness account

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great first post forrest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there gonna be a states 3200 recap?

    ReplyDelete