Friday, June 7, 2013

NBN Preview

News and Info
Jeff Wiseman of CRS is racing the 800 this weekend in the Caribbean meet. I really hope he does well; he is also in the 18 man final at NBoN. Not sure if they have heats for that. Either way, he’s got a lot of potential and he has had misfortune in his past two races. I think at NB he can run in the 1:50’s if they go out hard enough. He’s really gusty and I think that’ll pay off in the next few weeks.

Open 1 Mile: Ben and Sam Ritz are the PA guys here, I wish Brehm was going, but it makes sense for him to take some time off. Sam had a huge race at Henderson’s Distance Festival, but I think Ben will really step it up. He did indoors, running 4:12 for a full mile and I believe he goes sub 4:10. I’m not sure if Sam can repeat his success, but I hope he proves me wrong. I have him at 4:14.

2 Mile: Really interesting choice here by Barchet. He’s also in the 4x1 Mile relay for Henderson. Barchet from what I’ve heard didn’t feel great the past few weeks, but I hope his luck changes and I’m really pulling for him to step it up. He’s done that the past two national meets, and I think he does it again, but I do not believe he has what it takes to get All-American in this race. But then again I didn’t think he’d be top 50 at XC Nat’s and he was 21st. I think he’s 10th in 9:05. Shearn will be at Nat’s again looking for some redemption after getting beat out by Galassi in the last 100, Shearn has been the best 3200 runner for PA this year (Norris was the beat 3k guy) and I think he’s ready to roll. I’m going bold here and saying 8:58.98 for Shearn with All-American honors. (Remember that it’s two full miles not 3200).

5000m: Wow, this is stacked for PA and I’m really excited about it. Galassi, Shearn, Russell, Todaro, Kennedy, and Williams. Not sure how to predict this because we haven’t seen these guys race since XC, but we got 4 XC state champs, a runner-up, and a total stud in Sam Williams (I think he was 3rd or 4th, but I can’t remember and don’t have much time to write this up). Russell was unreal in XC, but his 3200/3k finishes have really worried me and I think he may have been pushing too much towards the mile and speed stuff this winter and spring, but at the same time he was so dominant I can’t count him out. I think two of these guys will get All-American, and it could be any of them. This will also be all of their first races.
Russell - 14:45
Todaro – 14:52
Shearn – 14: 54
Galassi – 15:02.1
Kennedy – 15:02.3
Williams – 15:18
I believe they all have the ability to break 15, but it’s tough for all of them to have a good day. I really hope this goes well for PA, because we’ve got a lot of potential here for some big races. And I think some of these guys could go even faster. I hope Russell pulls off like 14:35.

2000m Steeple Chase: Well Alec Coburn is moving up, we saw him race this earlier in the season and do quite well on his own running 6:09 if I can recall correctly (let me know how off I am on that!). But this should be a good race. I don’t know much about the field or how good his time really was, but what I do know is that Coburn is a boss. I think he can win this race as 5:55 won it last year and sub 6:10 was top 6. If he’s with the leaders or close to them with 400 to go I bet his 800 strength kicks in and he wins it.  Sam Williams will also be in the race and he’ll be coming off a tough 5k. These are two brutal distances races to run in a weekend and I don’t know if he’ll be able to double that well, but then again his double at states was phenomenal.  I think he gets the last All-American spot in a time of 6:13.

4x1Mile Relay: First off, I’m shocked not to see the O’Hara boys in this race. They did seem to begin burning out at the end of the season, but still they’re a team of studs that were 3rd indoors in this event. The big guns from the south and Cali will be at this meet and they weren’t there indoor, so competition will be fierce. Henderson has a shot of winning, but then again they’ll have Russell on the double (I believe the 3200 is the next day, correct me if I’m wrong). 4:12(Russell), 4:18(Moy), 4:22(Barchet), and 4:20(Stratman) is what I have Henderson at. 17:12 would get them the meet record by 5 seconds, and I think to win this race they’ll need to break that record. I do see them winning, but watch out for Chantilly. Sean McGorty won Penn Relays in 4:04 and he will be gunning for Russell. They have another 4:12 guy. Hummelstown is another PA squad, I don’t know much about Santeusanio and Weidner, hopefully I’ll have time to do some research later, but it looks as though they’re preparing for next year since they all return (it could be the making of a really solid XC team). I think they’ll break 18 flat, but nothing crazy.

I’m in total disbelief that there are no PA teams right now in the 4x8 and DMR. I guess La Salle bagged nationals which I’m frankly shocked at. They may not have been planning to go from the start, but I was really excited at their possibilities for both relays especially as COA DMR champs.  Best of luck to all those guys at college though.

EE800 – Christian Hunter has really come through with this move up in distance and has been quite successful with a string of 1:56’s. I think he pops off a 1:55 low to end his high school career.

I’m off to go clubbing, I’ll finish this post later on J
Have a great weekend everyone!

That’s all for now Folks


--ForrestCRN

18 comments:

  1. A little extreme on the 5k predictions but I think it'll be an awesome race

    ReplyDelete
  2. Russell is running the 5k on Friday evening, I think. Barchet runs Saturday and the 4x1mile is Sunday. Also Stratman is a 4:18, Moy a 4:16 and Barchet 4:20 along with Tony's 4:12. Hope the double doesn't wipe them out. I assume Stratman & Moy will be fresh though. Also real surprised not to see O'Hara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember that those times are 1600's not the 1 mile

      Delete
    2. Tony's best is a 4:11.5 full mile split. Barchet's is a 4:20 full mile split. Stratman ran the 4:19 1600 the first week of may. And moys 4:16 could turn into a 4:14 any second, the kid is on fire.

      Delete
  3. The 5k's are seeded pretty quickly, but from XC this year it's necessary. Shearn has already broken 15. Russell has almost done it on Lehigh. The rest were around mid, but have dropped insanely fast 3200 times which need to be respected. Even off the double, I think Shearn is one of the top guys in PA in the 5k. It's not even off the double really, it's the next day. He has pulled off nationals doubles/triples before so I think he knows how to get his legs ready for races with a nights sleep in-between.

    I agree with the poster above on the 4xMile splits, except for Barchet. I think he goes 4:24-ish. The rest seem solid. I don't want to doubt Barchet because he has stepped up in races in the past, but I think it's been a long season. I think he has an okay race, Henderson places and he takes 2-3 weeks off and then gets ready for XC season where he will dominate.

    -RTJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't see Todaro taking down Shearn. I say the 5k goes:
    Shearn - 14:48
    Russell - 14:53
    Galassi - 14:55
    Kennedy - 14:58
    Todaro - 14:59
    Williams - 15:05

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone said the same thing about Todaro in xc

      Delete
  5. The absence of Lasalle surprises me more than anything. Serious firepower there

    ReplyDelete
  6. No Martins...that's a little bit surprising

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like barchet is running the steeple now

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alright so not trying to hijack this thread but I hope you guys don't mind a little shameless self promotion.

    First off I want to just say that I love that the tradition of blogging is being carried on. I'm done with hs track and field blogging and I'm glad some one has picked up the mantle because I've got no plans to come back.

    I am however currently trying to write my own fiction book about running. It's in the very early stages but I have all the ideas in my head and I'm spending the summer trying to get them on paper.

    I've posted up the first few bits on my blog for your perusal and I would love to hear your guys opinions and feed back on it all (just try not to be too harsh if you don't mind haha)

    So yeah if ur looking for something to read about running flip on over and follow along it's posted up on my blog.

    Sorry again for hijacking your thread just figured this was a good place to get the word out. Feel free to delete it if you would rather not have it posted up here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only if it starts with "It was a dark and stormy night..."

      Delete
  9. Where are all the state championship videos? Every other year has tons of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. heat sheets are up for new balance

    ReplyDelete
  11. How do tell what is the fast heat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just kinda guess. If the heats are run at separate times, the later one is the fast one. Like for boys 5k, the second heat runs later, so it is the fast heat.
      Todaro and Kennedy in the slow heat; the rest are in the 25 man fast heat.

      Delete
  12. Eric Kennedy from Kiski ran 4:51 in the junior high mile placing 4th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently he ran 4:38 for 1600 earlier this season.

      --ForrestCRN

      Delete