Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Mentality/Mindset

Hey guys, I want to apologize for a lack of posts recently and I will be trying to get better at posting everyday or at least every few days.

I thought this would be a cool topic to discuss after having several conversations with my Coach about it in the past few weeks: Is it better to be the Known or Unknown? More elaborately put: Psychologically, would you rather be the front runner where everyone knows your name, or would you rather fly under the radar?

Obviously this differs from runner to runner, but it is also a team mentality as well. Coming from a very successful High School as Council Rock North is, I came to love having a target on my back and I always ran with pride for my school (not saying you can't run with pride if you're an underdog). Now at a school, Muhlenberg College, which is fairly unknown and with teammates from less established high school programs the program mentality is very fly under the radar as we haven't done anything really big in the past few years since we had a 10 flat DMR back in 2006 and an 1:53 800m guy in 2009. Coming from such a school it's been a tough mental transition for me, and continually begs me the question about Mentalities.

I do not believe either of these mentalities is right or wrong by any stretch, but I thought I would offer the blog up to the discussion while we wait for the weekend results! (There will be a poll on the subject if you do not wish to comment on the subject).

Lastly: I would like to inform all of you that I have E-mailed Don Rich with an application as an Analyst for PennTrack. This, I am sure, brings up many questions about the future of the blog. I would like to say right away that the blog would not shut down in any capacity. I greatly value the community that Etrain helped create and the legacy that we have all continued. The ability to comment 'freely' here is very important to me and I think it is to many of you. Learning splits and talking to coaches and fellow runners I find crucial for PA track and field to continually be successful at a high level as it provides a strong forum for discussion and interaction from across the state. If I worked for them I would be able to attend more meets as they would help me do such and I could conduct more interviews, ect. as the resources would be available to me. Depending on the contract, I could see my weekend Analysis going up on their site, but all other posts and discussion would be kept here and I would like to make a conjunction of the two sites if possible. But do not fear I highly doubt this will happen as I am not liked too much by many on PennTrack, which is fine. I do this for you guys and the running community, not for the money (obviously, since I make one). Right now I see PennTrack as NFL.com and this site as ESPN.com as we are a collaborator of analyzers and expects vs. the people who provide the raw data (penntrack).

--ForrestCRN

P.S. I'm opening up my indoor season (finally) this friday at Kutztown and I cannot wait!!

Please let me know all of your thoughts on both Penntrack and the binary of both mentalities.

23 comments:

  1. Penn Tracks system of meet info, stats and posting results is absolutely top notch. They cover the big meets with interviews, photography, and video. They're very professional, they sincerely care and it’s obvious. I have a subscription and have no complaints.

    But to discuss what’s going on, with in depth analysis, occasional inside info and plenty of off the cuff humor, Forrest and Etrain before him along the many commenters here are just a big step ahead and I thank you guys again for your great work and dedication.

    - RJJL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forrest, don’t be fooled! They want to shut you down and get your followers to add to the clicks on their site! Look at those new comments about showcases and predictions, throwing out names and trying to get discussion going. It’s obviously an older non-runner, non-student with no clue just trying to copy you. You don’t need to go there and be part of that. This blog is material enough for your resume. If you need cash for expenses go to a big meet with a box for donations, you’ll get more than they would pay you. Stay Classy!!!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Forrest, take advantage of the bigger crowd to put your views out to a greater population. If you can make money doing something you love and that you're good at, do it. Just don't sell out by not giving good analysis with your opinion. The Penntrack previews and reviews of meets are terrible.

      Delete
    3. Don't do it, you'll regret it!

      Delete
    4. They're control freaks over their, appeasing the parents who foot the subscription fee.

      Delete
    5. Forrest, I saw your post in the discussions calling out Papa Don for ignoring you. Way to go. Keep us posted please. Anyone want to call the over/under on how long it takes Don to either a.) respond OR b.)remove his comment?

      Delete
    6. He's been too busy writing as Mertz96 to respond.

      Delete
    7. Yes! You nailed it. But I thought it was decided someone affiliated with Malver/Hoey(ahem) was mertz96? Whoever they are, they spend an awful lot of time researching and throwing in shameless plugs for their guy(s).

      Delete
  2. Good luck on Friday, Forrest!

    My program is fairly well-respected in District 1, and while most of our runners are pretty unknown, we do have a high-profile guy, whom I certainly do not envy in that regard (I would love to have his mile time!).

    Maybe there's more external pressure on him, but every race really comes down to the same thing: can you be better than you were? Will you push through the pain? This is fairly nerve-wracking, I've had a ton of pre-race anxiety and I was wondering how others have successfully dealt with such. Still, I think I've had some breakthroughs this year by following the advice of my friends on another team who have had significant breakthroughs: they say, "It's all mental!"

    How do you deal with the mental aspect of our sport? Pre race, during the race, and after? Maybe a cool idea for a future post.

    Stay classy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, I would love to see what everyone has to say about the mental aspect of our sport

      Delete
    2. Don't overthink it. It's running-you put one foot in front of the other. I see guys blow it because their so hyper-focused on focusing and strategy, etc...

      Delete
  3. Forrest, it may be late but you mentioned back in cross about post states stories like Etrain did. Unless I completely missed them did you happen to have anything to post on that topic? Really enjoyed those last time around

    ReplyDelete
  4. My county was the smallest, and usually, the slowest, one in my district. As a result, I found myself racing with either mindset, depending on the week. When I ran at my county championship meet, I had the target on my back, people knew who I was. But when I ran at the district meet the next week, nobody knew who I was, our relays were rarely, if ever, considered a threat.

    For me, I found that I performed better when the target was on my back. I knew I was expected to win, and I didn't want to disappoint. Racing as an underdog, there was a tendency to excuse not getting the job done. "Oh, well, I wasn't supposed to beat that guy anyway." etc. I know everyone is different, but I raced best when there was a target on my back. That being said, the relays I ran on excelled, especially when we were flying under the radar. We actually had W.C. East's anchor (Diestelow?) ask who we were after we beat them at a meet last year. When I ran individually, I was at my best mentally when there was a target on my back, but the relays I competed on seemed to do best when we flew under the radar. Anyway, that's my two cents.

    -GBC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WC East, tall kid with glasses, right?

      Delete
    2. Diestelow doesn't wear glasses, sounds like Alex Hughes from wce.

      Delete
    3. Okay, first and only time I have raced WCE, so I wasn't sure.

      Delete
  5. PA girls showed up big time last night, sweeping the top four spots in the invite mile! Looks like we are shaping up for a very fast, very competitive state meet.
    Credit to Ritz as well, as he ran a very solid 4:24.

    -GBC

    ReplyDelete
  6. you'll do a great job with your analysis and show great devotion to the sport. that said, you will be an asset to penntrack. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  7. The problem with some of the sites you mentioned like NFL.com or profootballtalk.com is that as they have become commercially successful, they have also become so sanitized of anything resembling offensive content. I guess they have to obey the man who pays the bills. What makes this blog so appealing (unlike staid penntrack)is the honesty and maybe the grittiness. You call it like you see it-can't do that at Penntrack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't make my witty and colorful comments on PennTrack.

      Delete
  8. I've only been good for about a year now, but I'm still flying way under the radar in my district, where some of the stars don't know my name; outside of D1 I'm pretty sure I'd have a target on my back. I kind of like the underdog thing, however. It keeps me from thinking races are easy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Problem with that is if you're any good, you don't stay under the radar for too long.

      Delete