Monday, November 25, 2013

NJ MoC's Discussion/ FLNE Preview!!!

Hey guys, I'm extraordinarily sorry that I haven't been able to keep up with posting recently. Don't mean to make excuses but in a 2 week period I have 5 papers due and 3 exams to take. I've finished two papers and I have a big statistics exam tomorrow. This wasn't helped by the fact that I was in Baltimore this weekend for the American Academy of Religion Conference.

BUT on my study break I was able to finish a quick write up on the NJ MoC's along with a write up on who I believe are the 15 most likely guys to make it to FL Nationals (in order of most likely to make it). After my exam (Monday @ 2pm) and handing in a 7 pg paper Tuesday (@4 pm) I will finally be on "break". I will come out with a preview for NXN either Tuesday night, but more likely is Wednesday. I will also be trying to use the break to catch up on the journals as well. This being said I have a take home exam and 10 page paper due the Monday I get back to school. (Where I will have two weeks left). After I'm done school on the 13th I will be putting up tons of previews looking towards the winter season. I know it's late and I apologize again for that, but as a history/religion studies double major I get hounded with paper and research at the end of each semester.


NJ MoC’s
CBA looks unbelievable, running with a 15:52 team average!! Sub 16 average has never happened before on this course, even when they won Nat’s a few years back they were 16:02. It’ll take a huge effort for Henderson to beat them. Mike McClemens looked great for them winning in 15:26.

Don Bosco guys looked solid as well with Kyle Levermore placing 16th as he’s just coming back, while teammate Mike Higgins ran great finishing 6th overall.

NXN – McClemens (1st), Tarpey (2nd), Higgins (6th), Corti (7th), Ferro (8th), O’Neil (10th

FL – Corgliano (3rd), Kroon (4th), Maine (5th), Hanko (9th)

I’m not going to make an order of who will be 1-10 for the FL meet, because it’s really a toss-up in my mind, but this list is based on my belief in their chance of making it to San Diego. So #1 has a better chance of making it than #10. I won’t do % or anything, but they each have a write up on accomplishments and why I believe they’ve got a shot at making it.

1. Christian Alvarado (Sr, CT) 
Alvarado is the top guy on this list for many reasons. 1) He’s the #2 returner from last season (8th). 2) His coach has sent the most guys to FL from any region in the past 15 years aka he will peak perfectly. 3) He’s an animal on the hills. Every hilly race he has performed well and won. 4) He was 3rd at Penn Relays 3k last season in 8:26. He’s got a kick as well. Not sure what else there is too say.

2. Colin Abert (Jr, PA)
This may come as a surprise to have Abert at number two, but the kid is a gamer. Abert loves to go out hard, but he also closes better than just about anyone I’ve seen. No question he’ll be in the mix (aka top 15) with 800 to go, and on this course you can flat out roll. No question Abert grabs a spot in my mind.

3. Kyle Kroon (Sr, NJ)
Kroon placed 5th last season (top returner) and just placed 4th in the MoC’s for NJ. Kroon has had some very solid races this season and always mixes it up out front. I think he’s had his eyes on nationals this season after going last year and will be peaking for that, not MoC’s. I have no doubt this will be his best race of the season up until nationals. 

4. Paul Hogan (Sr, MA)
Hogan didn’t race very well last year, but he got the experience, making him a better candidate for this season. He was undefeated until All-States where he lost to junior phenom Carleo(will be at NXN). It was a very fast course and only 2.9 miles, which disadvantages the strength of Hogan. He’s that much better over 5k and hills benefit him. No doubt he’ll be in the running to win in the last 800, but may lose some ground. He shouldn’t lose enough to not make the top 10 however.

5. Josiah Hanko (Sr, NJ)
Hanko didn’t have his best race this past weekend, placing 9th at MoC’s. He’s the 3rd best returner after placing 14th last season. He’s got a very strong kick which makes him almost a lock to go. I originally had him at #3, but I switched him and Kroon after thinking about it a bit more. He’s ran some awesome times this season, but Kroon’s nationals focus is what gives him an edge. Don’t sleep on Hanko for the win however.

6. Ross Wilson (Sr, PA)
Wilson has had a very solid, but long season. I think this break from racing will show dividents with Wilson running very well. Coach Marrington has sent the second most runners to FL in the past 15 years (behind Alvarado’s Coach) so you know Wilson will peak well. He’s very strong and should be mixing it up with 800 to go. It’s hilly, which helps Wilson out, but the last 800, like Hogan he’ll lose a bit of ground. I don’t think that he’ll fall out of the top 10 however.

7. Louis Corgliano (Sr, NJ)
Another change after the MoC’s, I had Corgliano at #9, but after a superb race for 3rd at MoC’s I had to move him up. Corgliano has raced very well all season and is peaking at the right time. He just has to carry that peak one more week, which isn’t too hard to do. I think he has a very good shot at sliding into the national meet.

8. Dominic Deluca (Sr, PA)
Deluca isn’t necessarily the 8th best guy in the field, but he’s got one major advantage over most guys on the starting line: This is his only true test of the season. Most top guys had big state meets coming before this, but Deluca didn’t need to taper at all, giving him extra steady training through October and November. Plus it’s the only race on his mind. I think this mental edge is key, and Deluca will come through to grab that spot. He’s a great hill runner as shown with that 15:43 earlier this season at PTXC.

9. Alex Ostberg (Jr, CT)
Ostberg is the second junior on this list, and usually two to three juniors grab spots to the national meet. He placed 2nd at New Englands to Hopper and lost to Alverado and Hopper at the CT state meet. He will be mixing it up with this top group and has an excellent chance of making. He runs both flats and hills well. 

10. Stephen Maine (Sr, NJ)
Bit shaky as well with this one, but Maine seems to be peaking very well after a 5th place performance at MoC’s. He hasn’t had killer meets this season, but peaking well will do it for you, getting into this meet. His running level, in my opinion, is around 13-15 on this list, but if he’s peaking better than those guys, he gets the edge for me.

11. Chris Kazanjian (Sr, PA)
Chris has the talent level of top 7 on this list, no question in my mind. If this were a week after states and a big goal of his, I would say he’s almost a lock for FL, but he’s 11th on this list and here is why: C. Kazanjian, to my knowledge, didn’t have this as a big goal going into the season. He ran very well at districts and states, but it’s tough to extend ones season an extra month when it wasn’t a goal since the beginning of the season.  I think this puts both Kazanjian’s at a disadvantage mentally, which is why I don’t have him in the top 10. 

12. Chase Weaverling (Sr, MD)
Weaverling has put together some really nice wins this season over weak Maryland competition and has only one lost to Louis Colson of Virginia, who just won his state meet by 30 seconds! Weaverling heald with him till the last 800. We haven’t seen a lot from this kid, and this may not be his true place, but Wearverling is my dark horse at number 12.

13. Josef Andrews (MA, Sr)
It’s tough to put Andrews here after an excellent 3rd place finish at New England’s. He beat my #1 guy on this list in Alvarado, but I think that was his peak and he won’t be able to put it together at this meet. He placed a very solid 22nd last year however, so I think he’s got a great shot at making that top 10.

14. Colin Martin (PA, Sr)
Colin Martin has had a fantastic season so far and I’ve really liked the races he’s put together. I don’t know if he’ll have enough to compete with some of these top tier guys at regionals to make it to Nat’s. He’s lost his training partner again which will have made this past month even tougher for him. That being said, he is a very strong runner and the course should benefit him. He’s got good odds.

15. Owen Gonser – (MA, Sr)
Gonser has really impressed me this season, including a solo’d 15:24 effort at MIAA Eastern’s, but talent wise he’s not at the top of this list. It’s a very talented field and I think he’ll have a tough time making it, that being said he’s still got a good shot going into the race.


--ForrestCRN

No comments:

Post a Comment