Monday, December 9, 2013

DMR+ Preview


NA- This team rarely runs a fast relay indoors and I think we’ll see McGoey in the 3k, but they do have other pieces that could come together and break 10:50. Cordon Louco is a 4:28 guy, Kolbe short has also run 4:31. I’d love to see Louco in that 1200 leg, although that spot could be best reserved for Michael Becich (1:56/4:31 and good XC credentials). I’d put him ~3:11 which is great. Love and Seel are 2:00 guys as well. They have a lot to work with DMR wise, but I think they go 4x8. They also don’t have any proven 400 runners with their top returner being Mark Boris who ran 54.99 in the open 4… I’d have to imagine Love or Seel could split 53 or 52.

Altoona – Foust could be a great Mile leg if he puts his XC strength into the race. I’d love to see him go after 4:25 and if he can split that on an anchor they’d be in great shape. Stroh has also gotten a lot stronger and I bet he can translate that into ~3:16 for 1200. Mitch Endress could also run the 1200 as he and Stroh are almost interchangeable. This gives them a strong sub 2 800 leg either way. As for 400 legs they have Joe Reffner who ran 51.52 as a sophomore last season who could fill a nice spot. These guys could very easily hit the SQS if they run it at Kevin Dare.

Great Valley – I’m never sure how to place GV and after a struggle of an XC season this team could either come out on fire ready to kill it, or deflate. We’ll have to see how their season plays out. I’d love to see a slew of them going for the 3k time. But I agree they have DMR potential. 

Twin Valley – I’d love to see them hit the SQS, but I think it will be a struggle for them to get sub 11. They’ve got some nice young pieces and should make a splash in the coming years. We’ll get to see a good amount of them indoors and I think they’ve got a better shot at the 4x8 SQS. And I 100% with the awesomeness of Digiacomo’s name. 

To address MB: I think they can get the Q (10:50), but I don’t see much more from them. Sullivan at sub 3:10 is ridiculous. I would put him ~3:11 and Rastatter anchoring in around 4:32. Parker is a nice 400 leg, but Sean Sullivan will need to really step up his speed in the 800. As a young guy that can often be tough to do. 

Carlisle – This is one of 6-7 teams in PA who have a shot at running sub 10:25 on a good, fresh day, which makes me excited. I doubt they’ll run it at states, but their pieces are fantastic. Carroll is coming off a strong XC season and is a 4:30/1:58 guy (~3:14 for 1200 I’d have to guess). Sean Collins is a very solid 400 leg for this squad as he ran 50.37 last year outdoors and I’m sure he can split that indoors. They will need someone to step up as an 800 leg. Matt Wisner could be that guy as he ran 4:37 as just a freshman last year. Joe DeAngelo could also step into the role after a strong XC season. And then you’ve got Brehm on the anchor running people down. He would have to get out hard, while also running smart, but if he split ~4:10 these guys could be sub 10:25 or 10:20.

O’Hara – I’ve got these guys with the second best potential DMR this indoor season, but like usual they’ve got some question marks. After a strong XC season, where will we see Smart and Belfatto? If they decide to move up in distance, it could open up the door for Kevin James to run the 3k while they take on the roles of 12/16 legs. Smart could probably run 3:05 for 1200 and I’d like to see Belfatto in the low 4:20 range for a full Mile indoors. Here is how they stack up: (James – 3:03 (ran 3:04.5 last season), Someone on the 400 leg (they just need a 52/53 guy), Smart – 1:55, Belfatto – 4:22). That’s ~10:15. Just saying.

Malvern Prep – The main reason I didn’t have this squad on the list is because it seems as though the Hoey brothers will not be racing indoor since they are young and had a very extended XC season. If they do run it, I would have to imagine Jaxson could break 4:30 for the Mile leg, I trust McDevitt to be ~3:18 or faster on that 1200 leg, and Dan Ferraiolo to split ~1:56 after his 1:55.80 open 800 outdoors last year. Maybe he could step into the 1200 role and someone like Andrew Powers (2:00.99) could run the 800 leg. They also have a strong 400 guy in Casey Breuer returning who ran 51.05 last outdoor season. This could be a talented team if everything comes together nicely.

--ForrestCRN

P.S. To the commenter and others wondering about cuts to teams/programs ect. a post will be coming out later about my thoughts on all of this, so don't worry!

Other pieces to look for later in the week: FL nationals Preview (Boys and Girls)

12 comments:

  1. DMR? Deja-vu all over again? You did a dmr post and if I recall you had WCH putting together a very competitive team. Put down the coffee and take a nap Forrest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the post addressing all the potential DMR teams that I did not mention in the previous DMR post since I was getting a lot of complains about missing teams, that I didn't have time to add. These are those teams, so it's an addition to the previous DMR post, which is why it is called DMR + :)

      And I'm not sleeping until Thursday night, no time.

      --ForrestCRN

      Delete
  2. Jaxson Hoey is running indoor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He said the hoeys aren't running but jaxson actually is. So that makes a pretty big difference for their team

      Delete
    2. Oh, you're right. I missed that and now it makes sense.

      Delete
  3. West Chester East B Team?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't be surprised if Fox Chapel drops a nice time

    ReplyDelete
  5. Methacton can't be overlooked.

    ReplyDelete