Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Runners not on Lists

Sorry I was not clearer about this earlier! Runners who are not on the list have historically not raced indoors and/or will not be (in my opinion) likely to race that even at states.

For example:
a) Will Cather: I think Cather could have a really great 3k race indoors with his new XC strength, but he most likely will be doubling with either Mile/800 back into a relay. Running 3k into a relay almost never happens, since the 3k is right before the relays begin. It's an extraordinarily tough double. Only worse double I can think of is Open 800 into a 1200 leg for the DMR, which Ryan Horgan pulled off beautifully back in 2012.

b) Carlisle: In previous years they haven't run at the state meet or at any really big indoor meets. They're signed up for the Carnival currently and if they choose to race indoors seriously they're 100% a threat in relays and Brehm in the Mile. I think they would have a fantastic DMR with Brehm anchoring and Jon Carroll running the 1200 leg. Carroll is a sub 4:30 guy (dual meet time) and has come along really nicely in XC this season. (I will actually talk about this relay more in depth in the DMR section), but as for Brehm he has to be a favorite going into the mile race after his 4:08 outdoors, but my one worry is the turns. Brehm is a big kid who runs big as well. I would have to imagine the turns are far less forgiving for him than most other distance guys which puts him at a disadvantage on an indoor track. That being said he's a 4:08 guy...

c) District 2 and 4) These districts RARELY run indoor meets, most because of location. They're far away from most indoor tracks and most areas are in the mountains of PA making it colder and training more difficult. Molino to my knowledge hasn't run an indoor meet, nor has Deluca. I doubt we'll see them indoors again this season. But since I'm addressing the issue as a whole, if either of them race the 3k, even solo, I wouldn't doubt they'd be able to run sub 9. Deluca ran 9:13 last season at Henderson which translates to sub 9 handily, and Molino is just an animal. Running sub 16 at states should be a no-brainer sub 9 3k time and he's proved that he can solo fast races in the past.

I think that's all really. So far the biggest thing looking back that I missed was the 4x8 squad from CBE which should be around 8:05 or faster and has medal contention abilities. For most of these sections/previews I am looking to write about 10 to 14 teams/individuals, so some teams who are left out still have medal contention abilities as well.

All of this being said, I'm loving the comment sections so far and I encourage all of you to keep them going! 800m will be out tomorrow and DMR the day after that! Hope the start of winter track is going well for all of those who started (I just started this week) and for those going to nationals, best of luck and get some rest! I think it's extrodinariliy difficult for Northeast teams/runners to travel across 3 timezones to race in totally different weather, which is why, for the most part and historically, teams and runners from out west and Midwest preform better. But then again F-M girls from NY have won 7 National titles in a row, so what do I know :)

That's all for Now Folks! And please, keep the comments Classy!

--ForrestCRN

1 comment:

  1. Regan Rome has run indoor States every year of her high school career. I believe Deluca will run it as well. He should be a threat in the 3k.

    -RTJ

    ReplyDelete