Thursday, December 5, 2013

Indoor Preview: 800m



Kyle Francis – Bensalem – 1:52 split – I really doubt Francis will run the open 800 at states, but then again you never know. Brad Rivera did it last year and he isn’t nearly as good of a doubler as Francis. I think Francis likes the Mile better, but if they’re going to a solid number of team points (not sure what team title looks like yet, although Bensalem lost a ton of seniors) then he’s got a better percentage chance of scoring high in the 800 than the Mile, but he’s got more upside in the Mile.

Jeff Wiseman – CR South – 1:52.95 open – I’m really excited to see Wiseman start his track season. This XC season he got injured in early September after extending his track season in hopes of breaking 1:52, but it sadly never came together. Wiseman went through a lot of heartbreak outdoors last year and I think it will fuel him this track season. He’s one of the best PR’s in the group, a fantastic lean, and probably the best 400 speed as well (48.64) in the group. After a 3rd place finish last season he should be a favorite to win. I think he might set an overall PR as well in the race.

Joe Logue – Pennridge – 1:51 open – I don’t know what to think about Joe Logue. He ran 1:51.59 as just a sophomore at the Henderson Distance Festival, but hasn’t dipped until 1:52 since then placing 4th indoors in 1:53 and 3rd outdoors. He has split sub 50 goodness knows how many times, but also ran a very impressive 4:18 for a full mile, but more impressive was his 3:57 1500 to beat James Zingarini and Kevin James at the CR North Invitational. He has continued his distance prowess with a 16:04 PR at districts this XC season. Where will Logue be? What will he do? Logue is a total anomaly to me, but and I only have theories on why he isn’t racing as well as he was previously. Either way, the University of Pitt commit is very strong and fast, which is perfect for the 800. Don’t be shocked if he runs away with the title. 

Will Cather – State College – 1:55 open – This is a long shot, but Cather did run the open 800 last season and double back, so there is a shot he does it again. He placed 7th last season in a solid 1:56.3 effort and is the 3rd returner. I think he could place very high in a fairly open 800 year to give his team more points and himself a shot at a top 3 placement. The mile however would give him more time to recover for a 4x8 or DMR anchor (or 1200 leg). 

Dylin Wilhoite – Penn Hills – 1:55.88 open – Penn Hills has a tradition of making great mid-distance runners and Wilhoite is the teams latest project. He was 11th last indoor season and is the 5th returner. No question in my mind he medals and I also think there is a good shot that he breaks his PR in the process. 

Dave Garton – Perk Valley – 1:55.19 Open – I must admit I’m a pretty big Garton fan. He is a very smooth runner and sticks his neck in most races. He runs his best times off fast paces, which doesn’t do him much good in prelims, but it works perfectly for indoor championships. Last year he was 17th in a fairly disappointing race, but he had a nice outdoor season running 1:55 low at the Henderson distance festival after not qualifying for the finals at the state meet. Garton added a really solid 16:12 PR in XC after coming off a minor injury which he was pretty stoked about in our short discussion at the meet. I think Garton carries his momentum into the track season and runs a quick 1:56 indoors for a medal. (Also hoping he drops a nice Mile with that added base)

Austin Cooper – Upper Merion – 1:57.04 open – Cooper gets to carry on a nice legacy from teammate Christian Sanders from last season who shocked a lot of us last indoor season early on and placed second at the state meet. Cooper just missed states last season, placing 9th in district one. He has a 4:25 PR to his name and now a PR of 15:55 for XC. I think he can put together a really nice 800 and possibly PR indoors, but with those solid XC marks (47th @ states) we might seem him in the mile as well.

John Lewis – Cheltenham – 1:54.93 open – John Lewis is another guy I’m really excited about this indoor 800m season. Lewis extended his season long into July going to the AAU Championships. On his way there he ran some nice PR’s of 48.79 and 1:54 high. Then on July 28th he ran 4 times: 49.18, 1:56.26, 49.51, 1:57.65… that’s a ridiculous quad, I’m just saying. He took some time season off while these guys were running XC, but I really like the extra speed (22.69) and strength he will have gained from these extra months of training in the summer. I think Lewis will go after the 800 once again this indoor season after an 8th place finish last year (4th returner). I think he could very well challenge for 3rd behind Wiseman and Logue. 

Herb Stelly – Williamsport (1:56.97) – Bit of a long shot here after Stelly only ran 2:05  indoors last season, but he ran quite well outdoors and hopefully that translates into a good indoor season for him this year. He usually ran XC, but chose not to this season. I’m not sure on the reasoning; hopefully it wasn’t injury. 

Brad Foust – Altoona Area (1:59.08) – I’m not sure exactly what Foust will be doing this indoor season. He had a HUGE breakout XC season that I didn’t give him nearly enough credit for. He won District 6 and went on to place 21st at the state meet. He also has a 4:27.32 1600m PR to his name and may go after that race indoors. His Altoona team will be going for a big 4x8 run, I’d have to imagine, but I think Foust continues his 800m running trend (he ran it last year at indoor states) and drops some bombs in the field with a 1:57 PR in the open, if not faster.

James Smith – Upper St. Clair – 1:55.92 – I don’t know too much about Smith, but he seems to be on the upward trend, breaking 1:56 last outdoor season for second in District 7. He went on to place 29th at districts to qualify for the state meet. He seems to be a strong and fairly consistent race and has a shot at making the medal stand in the 800 this indoor season. 

Michael Becich – 1:57.18 – I doubt Becich will double open 8/4x8, but if NA is looking to pick up extra points for some reason I could see him racing it. He is a very strong 800m runner and had a nice XC season to boot. He’s a dark horse to watch for. 

--ForrestCRN

3 comments:

  1. Forrest, RTJ,

    If coach RJJL Kelly says Russell is giving up the mile for the 3,000, it's going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why I was in that post... I said I think Russell drops the mile.

    You forgot the State champion... Zach Brehm. I think he does the mile 800 double and potentially wins both (see Wade Endress for what I think his times could be). Brehm is a tricky situation. With Russell out the mile, I think Brehm wins the mile and comes back for a top 3 position in the 800.

    Joey Logue ran that time as a sophomore because it was at the distance festival. I think he would have run it again last year if he was in it again. Maybe it was because I paced him... I'd like to think it was that. Anyway, I've noticed Logue runs 800's differently than he did sophomore year. He used to save for a monster kick and chase down people the last 200, but now he's in the lead pack pushing it because of his XC/mile success. Maybe if he goes back to his old ways his time will drop. People have different ways of running. Magaha went 52/59 (when he ran 1:51) while Willig went 56/55. Senior year Ned did change that up and take it out 52-54 a few times, but that was usually only to break his competition.

    Idk why, but I feel like Wiseman will unleash something unreal this season. I feel like he is just so hungry after last season that his determination alone will get him to run a fast time. His footspeed is fast and if he can get Logue/Brehm to open up in sub 55 and keep the pace up through 600, I think he kicks and wins States.

    I don't know what John Lewis wants to do, and I don't think he does either. He's a very fast 400 and 800 runner and is in a cross roads. Honestly, I think his decision comes down to what he thinks he can place highest in. Kind of like Sam Ellison, except he started two years earlier.

    Garton improved a lot in XC this year, which tells me he wants to go out in a bang senior year. He's a medalist for sure. Same with Cather, I think he medals around 5th.

    Caldwell and Belfatto are solid 800 runners also, I think they can be on the lower end of the podium. Both had successful XC seasons and definitely improved a lot.

    My top 8 are: Wiseman, Logue, Brehm (off double), Cather, Lewis, Belfatto, Caldwell, and Garton. Smart just missing and Francis not running the 800.

    Girls top 8: Sarah Walker, Brianna Schwartz (off double), Hanna Brosky, Kennedy Weisner (off double), Marissa Sheva, Gina Alm, Allie Wilson, and Liz McGroarty.

    I think Holly Sullivan does the LJ, TJ, and 400 which is why I don't have her medaling in the 800. Also putting a lot of faith in Marissa Sheva/Kennedy Weisner. Hoping they recover from their injuries.

    -RTJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you have Francis on both the mile and 800 list of top performers, surprised that you don't have Caldwell or Moy listed for the 800. I can see maybe Moy doubling in a mile / 4x8 or dmr, Aren't he and Caldwell better suited for the 800?

    ReplyDelete