Monday, September 9, 2013

Billy Caldwell XC Journal #1



This is Billy Caldwell’s first Journal for the Blog. He is a senior at Downingtown East. He was 65th at the XC state meet and followed up in the spring with big PR’s including a 4:20 full Mile clocking, 1:55.12 in the open 800m along with leading a 4x8 squad to a 4th place finish outdoors and coming back to grab a medal for himself placing 7th in the open 800. He’s looking to help his team get to the state meet and possibly grab himself another state medal.

1.       Talk a little bit about your outdoor track season. Did you feel it was successful? And what did you take out of it?
 Last outdoor season went really well. My team and I had some great races together and eventually came out with a 4th place finish and a state medal in the 4x800 and a 7th place finish in the Open 800. I took out a lot from last season. I tried to use every race as a learning experience and take something out of every race I run. 

2.       How has your summer been going in terms of running? Has training been steady? What was the most memorable or fun run you had this summer?
 My summer has gone very well the team and I have had many great runs and we all feel very strong going in to this Cross Country season. We hold a lot of our runs this summer at Marsh Creek State Park. So any time we were there we had fun running through the woods and jumping over rocks, trees and streams. 

3.       What XC races did you learn the most from last season? And how have they impacted your training or racing?
 I try to use every race as a learning experience. This could range from racing techniques to learning how to better listen to my body. I use everything I learn to simulate the same situations that would happen in a race in my training so I have practice.

4.       You added a state medal in the 800 along with some big PR’s across the board last season. How have these experiences impacted your goals, and what are they for this upcoming XC season?
 This showed me that I can run with anyone in the state and changed my goals from running a good time to learning something that will make me better. My goals for this upcoming XC season are to help my teammates make it to states because I want all my friends and training partners to be able to experience the atmosphere and excitement to be in that big of a race with that many elite runners.

5.       What races are you looking forward to most this season other than just the state and district meets?
This season I am looking forward to Briarwood, Bulldog and Twin Valley the most. I really enjoy Briarwood and parachute hill. This course pushes everyone to the top of their ability and the best come out of the woods and around that last loop in first. I am looking forward to Bulldog Invitational because I have never raced there and am excited to race on a new course and against different competitors. Finally, Twin Valley because it is a great course and an opportunity to compete against different teams outside of the Chest-Mont League. Also I think that my team and I will run well together at these races and hopefully bring home some team medals.

6.       What are the expectations that you and your teammates have for this upcoming season? Team Goals, ect.
It all boils down our main goal is to just run fast. There isn't really any other goal but go out and run your fastest each time and keep pushing ourselves a little further each time to get new PRs. But most of all it’s about having fun racing and being with people that enjoy running and competing as much as we do. 

7.       After breaking out on the PA scene last XC season how has your mindset changed?
 I don't know if it really changed my mindset. It just showed me that I'm doing the right training and learning how to race well. Also, it showed me I still have a lot more room to work and get better. Finally I think it changed my mindset in a little to keep working hard and push myself further and further.

5 comments:

  1. Note to Billy Caldwell: Rose Tree is one of the hardest courses in District 1. No one in Delco likes it. Maybe you can still enjoy Bulldog, but Briarwood has a much easier course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bulldog runs a different route than DELCO championships, they avoid the huge hill before the two mile mark. That hill is at least as challenging as Belmont's parachute, maybe worse. That's why Bulldog times are so fast.

      Delete
  2. I think the hill is way worse than Parachute...also I've heard that Bulldog is a shorter course, close to 3 miles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol at Downingtown East making states

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't "lol" at anybody. Stranger things have happened.

      Delete