Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Rankings

Hey guys, just a quick note before the post begins on a few things:
1. Team starting lanes are out for the PIAA Foundation meet. They can be found @ http://www.piaa.org/assets/web/documents/2013_Foundation_XC_Race_Starting_Lines.pdf
2. I will be doing a weekend preview tomorrow afternoon/night when I have some time to go over all of the races. I'm really excited for the Foundation Meet where we have the #2,4, 5, and 6 ranked teams racing. O'Hara will be at Briarwood (they are not on the Foundation start list) which means we get to see a Wilson vs. James race, sub 15:41??? We will see!
3. Make sure to like the page on Facebook, I'd like to do more with that if I can get followers.
https://www.facebook.com/padontplay?ref=hl is the link for that.
And now to the post!

I'm fairly new to the blogging game, and I'm learning new things from all of you everyday. Let me share with all of you two of my favorite things: Rankings and Proving Rankings to be Wrong. How can this be? Here me out:
When I was in high school, I ran for Council Rock North, if ya'll didn't know by now. I hated when we would go un-ranked by PennTrack or Etrain, which happened quite often. When I got on the line I'd always want to do better than anyone, even myself, imagined me to be.CRN was unranked my whole senior year until after districts when we were placed 9th by Etrain. I was happy we finally made it on the radar after tons of seasonal work, but I messaged him on facebook saying we would be top 7 no question and he responded: "I'd love to see you prove me wrong". Before hitting the hills of Hershey my coach says: You guys are a top 6 team in this state, lets see you compete that way", and boy did I want us to be in the top 5.
Sadly, I blew up, putting too much pressure on myself before the race even began, but without their #4 man, CRN's 5/6 stepped up and brought us to a 6th place finish, just as my coach predicted. It's amazing how rankings can fuel you to compete better than you believed capable.

On the other end of the spectrum, teams are often ranked too high, such as my current team. We're ranked 9th in the region while having our top guy injured and having done almost nothing but run a solid tempo'd 6k to get that mark. Everyday we're out working to prove to ourselves and other that we really do deserve that ranking. We know we have the potential for 9th. We're glad to have the recognition, but that doesn't keep us from striving to do better and to truly prove ourselves out on the trails. We're still hungry.

And this is the beauty of ranking systems, at least in my mind. It gives us all a tangible thing to strive for, when in XC it's difficult to race against the clock and your PR's every time when weather conditions may be off and courses constantly differ. As someone who makes these rankings, let me say, goodness gracious we are not even close to perfect. I was discussing some things with Will Cather the other day and I said: I just see what happens on saturdays, not even the race, only a name and a time. You are all the ones that get to see the hard work happen everyday at practice. That is what makes friendships and unbreakable bonds between teammates: The true beauty of our sport.

I spend hours reading, analyzing, memorizing, and re-reading results, but in the end its all up to each and everyone on of you to go out there and compete with everything you've got and more. Don't look at results and see runner X ran 16:20 and say 'Wow, I'm a 16:40 guy, I can't run with him' or 'Hey he's ranked on Forrest' top 50, and I'm not we can't compete'. Instead say 'Hey, I can be that 16:15 guy who beats him next go-round' Be excited to compete against your peers. Never put limits on yourself or your team, constantly push whatever boundaries you believe exist for you body and your mind. That's what this sport is all about: breaking barriers.

That's all for now Folks!

--ForrestCRN

P.S. I've been talking with someone about possible doing a Podcast for the blog maybe bi-monthly. Let me know if this is something that would possibly be interested. Also PennTrack just let out another video if ya'll want to check that out go for it! It's only 9 minutes for the guys.

10 comments:

  1. It's weird that after this weekend some teams will have run 3-4 Invites already, while some still haven't run 1. It definitely makes the whole ranking process a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rankings definitely motivate. While being first puts a target on your back... it should also excite you because you're the team everyone has on their minds. After running our DMR at Yale (as much of a disaster that race was) we were the top team. I used that as fuel during practice, pushing myself harder every rep and trying to push my limits When we stepped onto the line at States one of my last thoughts was, "Let's show them this isn't a fluke." Junior year when we were one of the top teams we used it as a motivation to be the top team. Rankings are necessary and beneficial.

    People say I hate on Henderson and honestly I don't mean to, but if Henderson takes it that way I hope they use it to run even faster. After destroying a course to think "Yeah, hate on that RTJ."

    -RTJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RTJ,I never took you for a WCH hater. I think you call it like you see it. Used to hear stories about Michael Jordan where he would practically invent negative things that the press & other players would say about him. Apparently he needed the hate to get himself fired up even if it was only in his imagination.

      His teammates used to freak out because he'd be mad as hell and throwing stuff in the locker room before games calling out people trash talking him...only nobody was trash talking him. Lesson learned: whatever works.

      Delete
    2. Depends on the individual I guess. Personally, when I see a ranking I don't bother reading it. I understand it's entertaining and a conversation starter but I just can't get too hung up on one persons opinion. XC at this point in the season is too hard to rank. So many variables.

      Delete
  3. Forrest I'm fully game for podcasts. I would very much love to see it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forrest, if James goes sub 15:41, say 15:35, then maybe Bulldog is accurate afterall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. James vs Wilson should be good

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where is Rustin? Im telling you guys, Rustin will have a breakout year this year at districts. watch them at paul short and district 1. top 7 finish in disrtict 1? YES. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete