Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Forrest's Top 12 Teams AAA States



    1. North Allegany - 110
I just can’t seem them losing the race at this point in the season. Mcgoey and Wharrey both seem locks within the top 10/12 runners and Scott Seel is tied for the the best #3 in the state with Rob Morro (of O’Hara). NA and O’Hara seem almost the same through 1-3, but the big difference for me with come at the 4th spot. I think Jacob Stupak will have a great race. At Foundation he was 57 seconds behind Seel, the next race Seel did not run, but he was 47 seconds behind Wharrey, then at Tri-States he was 19 seconds behind Seel, and finally at WPIAL’s he was just 13 seconds behind. He’s made some big improvements and he went out quite slow at Districts (5:32/11:02), but still finished 13th. It’s not like Seel has gotten worse with a 6th place WPIAL finish, Stupak has just gotten a lot better. And finally they’ve got a great #5 in Zach Deible, who beat Mt. Lebo’s 2 at Districts.
2    2. Cardinal O’Hara – 135
O’Hara has a very solid top 3 and if Drew Pastore were healthy I have no question that they’d challenge NA for the win. Basically I think both teams will be even in terms of points on runners 1, 2, 3, and 5, but Stupak over Pastore will be the biggest factor. The solid top 3 will help them edge out the pack of La Salle.

3. La Salle – 140
Boy did I miss out on La Salle when this season started. They’ve got a really incredible pack that hasn’t broken at all this year and they run some rough courses. Manhattan showed they weren’t a fluke and they were phenomenal with their District win. I think if they can get someone in the top 30 and the pack follows like usual they can get at minimum 125 points, but I think they just fall short with their top finisher around 33rd place.

4. Cumberland Valley – 178
This is where I might go very wrong and I’m clearly terrible at picking 4th place teams, so I’ve basically cursed CV, but I love going out on a limb with a team and I think it’ll be these guys. Quinn Wasko has been very impressive all season, especially his consistency. Last weekend Soliman ran with his teammates and tempo’d the race to finish right between his 3 and 5 teammate. Because of this and his relaxed race at Paul Short I think he comes up big for his team. Higgins in a solid 3 man and I like Seeber as well at the 4th position. 

       5.Conestoga – 190
I’m not sure just yet how I feel about picking them for 5th. They have really underwhelmed me, but Cooper was 41st last year, Nelson looks great this season and Marston is a very solid top guy. Not to mention Pj Murray having a nice season for his first XC year. They were District champions and I think they’ve got a lot more in them.

     6.  Easton – 196
This team has a ton of potential for a top 4 team. If Abert and Lapsansky can combine for 10 points or less and the two Greg’s have good races they should be set. Sherman looked like a great #3 at Districts and Koch has withstood the pressure this season that has been put on him despite being a sophomore. This team has guts and great leadership of Abert. When you’re running behind the best man in the state you’ve got some inspiration to do well. Abert will be fired and up so will this squad.

     7.Council Rock North – 200
No way this team falls lower than 7th place. I thought they raced terribly at Districts all around. Arita didn’t go when he should have and ran a reserved, fearful second mile and the team looked that way all around. Griswold usually comes up big and didn’t and Heintz looked poor. The sophomore Haas showed some strong resolve to help them make it to states, but I think this team will bounce back and really bring it this weekend. Top 5 should be the goal, but there are quite a few teams that could bounce around them. 

     8.  West Chester Henderson – 209
I thought I was being a bit generous with this pick to be honest. Knapp I think is a lock for top 15 and is racing well during championship season. Swart had a big comeback race at Districts and moved up well, while Smucker went out hard and held on. Barchet looked solid all the way through and I like this team overall. I’d be hard pressed to imagine Smucker getting under 17 minutes and Ben Berkman had a 30 second PR at Districts. At best he runs 18 flat, which gives him about 85-90 points. So for them to score under 200 points this team needs to average 27 points a man for their front 4. 

    9.   Mount Lebanon – 219
I don’t know how I feel about this pick just yet, but despite a poor District race I think this team has more to show. Todd Gunzenhauser should have a big race at States and I think he’ll bring Ian Baun with him (or Baun will bring Gunz) either way I think they finish within 2-3 places of each other and could be the 24/25th place finishers in the race in my opinion. After that they’ve been shakey, but they know the hills of Hershey and have ran them well. I like Harris’ consistency and Brandenstein always races well with him and is a beast of a freshman. This team could really shock some people with a higher finish.

     10.  Hempfield --220
Someone had to give this team some love. They’ve run two fantastic races in a row and have held a tight spread behind a nice 1-2 punch with Brady and Yurchak. This team starts and ends with seniors, but has two sophomores, two juniors, and a freshman who are all strong runners. Their #6 is close behind their 5th (4 seconds), which gives them some room to err. 

   11. Central Bucks West – 222 – edge on the 6th man, will need big performances from their top 3 again if they want to break into the top 7 or 8 teams. 

   12. Carlisle 222 –If Wisner and DeAngelo can both have big races this team will be set for a top 7 finish, but it just hasn’t happened this season. 

   That's All for Now Folks!
  -- ForrestCRN

35 comments:

  1. What's wrong with Pastore that he isn't healthy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really don't think DTW will be in the top 12?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dwest might just win the whole thing so I don't get the snub.

      Delete
    2. ^ I severely doubt this will happen. Especially after their lackluster performance at Districts, only slipping into states by 11 points over CBE.

      Delete
    3. This list is off but I guess we'll see in a few days. Have to agree that you unreasonably lean a little too heavily towards your alma mater.
      Just not good journalism to do that-your credibility comes into question.

      Delete
    4. You guys are too harsh. He's not journalist, he's just a dude who loves the sport and maintains a blog for others like him. So what if he favors his team a little, who wouldn't? With the meet so close this year I bet Forrest has a scenario where CRN even wins so putting them 7 probably was tough. Everyone thinks their team will run well, all PR, all get those last couple of places down the stretch, even the Dwest guy a few posts up so what's wrong with that.

      Delete
    5. Not a chance CRN wins this meet in my opinion. Teams like North Penn in 2011 had really great leadership and gamers in Trimble and Macauley up front and a true XC beast like Dan Davis who was benefited greatly from the hills. That leadership helped pull their 3-6 guys to some of the best races of their lives.

      Things like Leadership totally play a factor in races like this, if you ask me. Guys like Kevin James and Colin Abert have that factor, especially James. Mcgoey and Wharrey have great coaching leadership as do Henderson and CRN. So sometimes when there aren't true team leaders the coaches can help push them along. When you've got rifts within a team often times things don't come together. I don't point out any teams on this blog, but I know there have been some team issues with some groups.

      But again, if you guys want purely objective journalism I will give that to you. Putting Arita where I did in 19th is low in terms of objectivity. He's stepped up to the plate and done big things at his previous two state meets and is the 15th returner (after taking out guys like Van Kooten and Perlman).

      Delete
  3. From all your friends in state college thank you for the lack of good analysis and not ranking us above a team we beat by 4 spots at mid penns forrestdickbender

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple things.
      1. It is hard to restrain myself as there is no profanity allowed on this blog, but shut the **** up. This guy is one of the few people actually willing to devote his time to improvement and awareness of this sport statewide.
      2. Go cry about it. There's not just one analyst for a reason, different vantage points and views should always be appreciated. It makes the sport more interesting.
      3. It's states, anything can, and will happen.
      4. If this is just one guy, stop making your team look bad.
      5. If Forrest's predictions upset you that much, then use that as motivation to prove him wrong.

      Don't complain. And to all the analysts, Forrest, Chris, Evan, and Jarrett, keep up the great work guys, it really is appreciated.

      -LOP

      Delete
    2. Etrain always gives fantastic analysis and great picks but seriously Henderson at 8th??

      Delete
    3. That's what Brehm and Russell call him which I don't understand because the majority of the talk on those guys has always been positive and complimentary here.

      Delete
    4. ^^^Exactly, who cares what you are ranked, go out there and prove everyone wrong.

      Delete
    5. He's one of those guys who peaked as a soph.

      Delete
    6. At Districts State College’s Average Runners time was 7 seconds slower this year than last season, so let’s look at the numbers if State College’s runners last season ran 7 seconds slower the team score they would have accrued.
      Will Cather: 16 – 19 (+3)
      Chris Golembeski: 30 – 34 (+4 to 7) (could have been 37)
      Alex Milligan: 31 – 37 (+6 to 7) (could have been 38)
      Nick Feffer: 45 – 50 (+5 to 9) (could have been 54)
      Kyle Adams: 48 – 54 (+6)
      Stage College Team Points in 2013: 170
      Minimum Team Score for 2014: 194
      Maximum Team Score for 2014: 202
      This is from a purely objective numbers stand point. Not factoring the number of teams in contention compared to last season or things that I would point to in terms of intangibles like Will Cather’s extraordinarily strong leadership role on that team last season that, in my opinion, can make a difference.

      Delete
    7. I honestly think this was a guy from another team, but sorry Forrest! You are great

      Delete
  4. I don't know if it is just me but Forrest's picks have been getting progressively worse this year. I don't know if his extreme bias for CRN is what rubs me the wrong way but when I read this it does not come off as objective at all. Yes Forrest we get that you used to go to CRN and we understand that your buddies there can come up with a plethora of clever excuses as to why they did not run the race you envisioned, but the fact of the matter is you providing all these extra chances and excuses for them takes away from the credibility of the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calling 8th place generous for Henderson while 7th is the lowest that CRN will fall is absurd. Henderson handed it to them at districts, look for it to happen again

      Delete
    2. Everyone has been ripping CRN all year saying they have no shot to make states because of what they lost last year and how poorly they raced at invites at the beginning of the year.

      And every year they prove everyone wrong showing up when it matters for the championship season. District 1 usually puts all 5 teams in the top 10 at states and I have no doubt CRN will show up once again when it matters and prove everyone wrong again

      Delete
    3. Same with WCH! Yet when they show their stuff, people still doubt them.. I have no doubt that CRN will be in the top 10. Even 7th is pretty reasonable, but I don't see them beating WCH

      Delete
  5. Love the ballsy CV, Easton and Hempfield picks! Really pulling for Easton to kill it on Saturday. I do think DTW will rebound for a Top Ten finish. Would be great to see a newer team win States for once...Conestoga are you reading?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got two prediction sets, much like Jarrett. This is one is the less objective one and more on my own feelings, which I'm totally fine presenting to all of you. This is a blog, not a journal, and I'm glad that all of the analysis I provide is not seen as journalism throughout the past two years doing this. I write a large number of scholarly essays and will hopefully be published in a conference this up-coming March.

    There is a reason I put down my feeling predictions rather than a more # based analysis like Etrain did. The reason for this is motivation. Teams get ranked higher and lower than maybe they should and motivation can be gained either way. Last season Will Cather texted me saying they'd play 4th at States. I looked at all the numbers and I knew they could do, but would I predict them that high? Heck no. But I did throw Cather a bone and placed him at 25th, which he did exactly that.

    A lot of the time on this blog I do things to pump people up, and I know it works. You guys can rip me as much as you'd like, but if you see a problem, I would appreciate if you could also provide a solution, so in this case a top 10 or 12 ranking of your own.

    I keep fighting myself over whether or not to say where I actually have SC ranked, but for now I'm not going to say it. Prove me wrong guys, prove me wrong :) Honestly, nothing would make me happier. I like seeing people be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe forrestdickbender translates to Obiwankenobi in Ewokese. Use the force Forrest, use the force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Zach? or is it Tony this time?

      Delete
    2. May the course be with you.

      Delete
    3. The poster not Tony Russell is.

      Delete
    4. Do or do not, there is no try.

      Delete
  8. My Predictions
    1. CRN
    2. CRN's JV
    3. Whatever middle school feeds into CRN
    CRNCRNCRNCRNCRNCRNCRN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thinking the same thing here man, they always peak at the right time. Junior Nick Tosti is gonna drop a huge pr and contend for a medal at states, shoot he might even win it. 24:22 is his pr but that was at a tough couse so he should drop like 8-9 minutes based off of his training and peaking.

      Delete
    2. I've actually been in contact with him. He says the week leading up to Districts he was still doing 15 mile morning runs to keep the mileage up so he wasn't really peaking yet. I fully expect him to challenge the course record tomorrow.

      Delete
    3. Wow thats insane, he will easily get for the course record. In fact I see him finishing no lower than 7th in the whole meet.

      Delete
  9. Anyone see the nxr northeastrankings on milesplit?

    ReplyDelete