Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Blog Improvement Discussion Forum



I just wanted to respond to a couple of the comments that have been given to me recently by some blog viewers. I hope most of you know that I write this blog to try and create a positive environment for comments and discussion and to help get names out there from all over the state. Etrain had issues with bad commenting and I agree that this can be an issue and I do my best to monitor it. I sadly don’t have time to sit and delete the comments each time they come up if they aren’t “positive”. I don’t want to have to make an approval aspect to comments, since I don’t spend all day checking the blog. That would slow down discussion, which is what I think makes this blog a good thing for the running community.  I want this post to be a mini-forum for critiques of what I do. I cannot chance the minds of those who wish to troll this blog, I can only police comments. But I can however change up what I do help improve the blog. “This blog feels like a breeding ground for negativity” and “the good and that bad, but not in such a derogatory way” implies that I am doing something to allow or even promote negativity, and that’s ok. I would like to know how to change what I am doing incorrectly to make this blog better for everyone involved. 

As for “Stay Classy” that’s Etrain’s tag line and not something I was going to steal, nor plan on using. I am not Etrain and I don’t even want to seem like I am continuing his legacy. This should just be a blog for runners about runners and not to do with those making the posts.
I would love to get 2 things from this post:

1. I would greatly appreciate if the comments were constructive criticism on how I can fix the blog. I emphasis the “I”. Getting comments that I quoted above are great to start this conversation, but if we want to make this blog better, which I’m sure all of you want to do just as much as I do, then please, offer alternatives and suggestions on how to fix things. THANKS!!

2. I DO NOT want people reacting to others critism’s. They are their own and I will take everything into account. Do not bash or attack people for their ideas on changing the blog. 


Thanks so much guys! I think a lot can be gained from this and I’m excited to hear what all of you have to say. Please comment away! It will only make the blog more improved for all involved. I want a positive atmosphere going into this activity. 

--ForrestCRN

10 comments:

  1. What some folks call "negativity", some call lively discussion. It's really a matter of perception. With all due respect Forrest(I'm a fan, not a hater), you tend to give too much voice to the people who are sensitive to what they determine is negative content.

    Also, if someone is posting an opinion, doesn't that invite follow-up comments? I don't see how you can institute a hands-off policy to some comments and open-season to others. Some of the comments on here have been truly distasteful, especially those irrelevant ones aimed at individual runners and I am glad you delete them. They are childish and mean-spirited. But please, don't censor the blog to be the journalistic equivalent of vanilla ice cream. Also keep in mind that you're not going to please all of the people all of the time. In fact, I would hope that isn't even your objective as it would seriously compromise your journalistic integrity. Keep up the good work and stay the course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on.

      Forrest, you're doing a great job, especially considering the pay grade you're at! Don't change a thing.

      -RJJL

      Delete
  2. Just recently found this blog. Was thrilled to see someone picked up where Etrain "left off". Love to see the discussion of runners across the state. Thanks for ALL that you are doing Forrest! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog tends to be a bit District 1-centric. It is what Forrest (and RTJ) know. So many of the readers come from there.

    I realize Forrest is very busy with school. Could you recruit writers from other parts of the state (especially districts 3 and 7) to help fill in the details?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this idea and I'm from D1

      Delete
    2. I'd love to get someone who is from another District offer analysis or discussion. I have asked before and not gotten much of a response. But anytime someone wants to do course write ups or analysis of a meet that was there I'd love to hear it and I'll give you credit for your work when I post it up.

      My e-mail is: fk246898@muhlenberg.edu

      --ForrestCRN

      I try and do my best with District 3 and 7, but sadly I've never attended such meets. I will be putting up a District 7 preview tonight, sorry I haven't gotten around to it, been fairly busy.

      Delete
  4. more like district 6. otherwise like the blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't call this blog D1 oriented, I'd say more D1, D3, D7, and D12 oriented. Those are the powerhouses of the state and definitely get talked about a lot more, but this is a running blog and they always have runners to be talked about which is why. I think Forrest does a great job of trying to get other districts incorporated. He even does predictions for all of the districts, something most people could never do. I think you're running this website great, Forrest. I also think that if other districts want more buzz, they should email Forrest about what they think and he can incorporate that into the blog.

    Also, keep in mind how much time this blog takes up, and as another college student, I can say that time is not something you have much of in college (sleep for that matter either). Definitely email him and give him ideas to write and I'm sure he will put it in the blog.

    -RTJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand you want the comments to be things you could change to stop some of these bad connotations people have been getting. I believe its simply a poster issue.

    For everyone who posts, be respectful and knowledgeable. The difference in tone between "Sean is the worst clutch runner in the state" and "Sean has failed to run his best races at championship time, but is looking to improve this year. However at this point, I am skeptical about his ability to come up clutch until I see him prove it." is only in tone. The content is approximately the same. Just think about the best way to be respectful in your opinions and arguments. There's no need to bash anyone, ever. Respect.

    And Forrest, I would be willing to help in anyway possible District 3 wise. If you'd be interested in my help, just put an affirmative comment here on the blog and I'll shoot you an email! Its time for DISTRICTS!!!

    ReplyDelete