Sunday, October 20, 2013

District 1 and District 3 Previews

Hey guys, I'm sort of working on a new Top 50 and Top 10 teams lists, but they're getting a little crazy right before districts. Biggest jump is Colin Abert from 11th to 3rd. I think he's one of 3 guys in the state ready to break 15:50 @ the State Course right now. I think these meet Previews will help you guys process the potential changes. Also I think Freedom is a top 5 team in the state right now. History shows that the Bethlehem Municipal Field course (The one used in the Lehigh Valley Conference Meet and the District 11 Meet) times are almost identical to the state course times or about 5 seconds slower. This is due to the slow nature of the course (tons of sharp turns and on occasion lack of competition). That being said I believe this coming Wednesday most of those guys will be running about 10 seconds faster than last Tuesday. Based on my District Preview this is how they will score @ the state meet:
Freedom - 17, 25, 34, 40, 52 = 168

Now if they run the same times they did at Leagues, at the state meet, this is how they would look:
Freedom  - 19, 34, 51, 52, 60 = 216

The main difference is I expect Quigley (9th @ Leagues & 4th for Freedom) to make a big jump again this week. He has raced much better all season. But anyway you slice it, 168 is good enough for 4th most years and 216 is usually 5th to 7th place. I think these guys are the real deal, so watch out!

Also, District 6 and 7 Previews will be coming either Tuesday or Wednesday!



District 1 Virtual Meet (Top 25 Individuals Make States... not on teams going)

  1. Tony Russell – 15:02 - WCH
  2. Ross Wilson – 15:04 - CRN
  3. Chris Cummings – 15:15 - WCE
  4. Reiny Barchet – 15:27 - WCH
  5. Jake Brophy – 15:30
  6. Casey Comber – 15:32
  7. Chris Kazanjian – 15:35 (Look for him to surprise with a 15:25)
  8. Sam Webb – 15:37 -PB
  9. Matt Kazanjian – 15:40
  10. Andrew Marson – 15:45 - C
  11. David Fowler – 15:48
  12. Eric Distelow – 15:52 - WCE
  13. Alexander Balla – 15:53
  14. Kyle Francis – 15:54
  15. Eric Stratman – 15:55 - WCH
  16. Billy Caldwell – 15:57
  17. Josh Smith – 15:57
  18. Connor Holm – 15:57
  19. Brian Arita – 15:58 - CRN
  20. Austin Cooper – 15:59
  21. Alex Knapp – 16:00 – WCH
  22. Joseph Logue – 16:01
  23. Watson Hanson – 16:02
  24. Seamus Collins – 16:02 - WCH
  25. Paul Power – 16:03
  26. Stephen Dages – 16:04 - WCE
  27. Jonathan Perlman – 16:05
  28. Matt Willig – 16:05
  29. Ricky Waltz – 16:07 - WCH
  30. Ryan Grace – 16:08
  31. Dan Shalala – 16:08
  32. Gunnar Sjoreen – 16:08 - C
  33. Rob Simmons – 16:10 - CRN
  34. Chris Kienzle – 16:10
  35. Jeff Kirshenbaum – 16:11
  36. Alex Sauer – 16:12 - PB
  37. James Cooper – 16:13 - C
  38. Garrett Zatlin – 16:13
  39. Liam O’Connell – 16:15 - PB
  40. Sean Griswold – 16:16 - CRN
  41. Colin McDonald – 16:17
  42. Matthew Scarpill - 16:18
  43. Jabari Freeman – 16:19
  44. Mike Kane – 16:19 (Cut-Off)
  45. Adam Twombly – 16:20 – C
  46. Andrew Hanna – 16:20
  47. Jesse Coleman – 16:21
  48. Will Swart – 16:22 WCH
  49. Alex Ramierez – 16:23
  50. Ryan Tung – 16:25
  51. Lukas Marcelis – 16:25
  52. Matt Aham – 16:25

Team Scores District 1 Virtual Meet  (Top 5 Make Stats)

  1. West Chester Henderson – 1, 4, 15, 21, 24 = 65
  2. Council Rock North – 2, 19, 33, 40, 97 = 191
  3. Conestoga – 10, 32, 37, 46, 70 = 194
  4. West Chester East – 3, 12, 26, 72, 140 = 253
  5. Pennsbury – 8, 36, 39, 84, 89 = 256
  6. North Penn – 30, 52, 61, 63, 83 =290
  7. William Tennent – 42, 45, 58, 67, 85 = 297
  8. Downingtown West – 52, 56, 65, 69, 73 = 315

Boys AA
Pottsgrove dominated this meet last season and return 3 of their top 5. They should handily win this meet as a team. Individually state qualifiers Daniel Connell and Christian Kardish are returners from HGP along with Jacob Keiper of Upper Perkiomen. All should be headed back there again. Andrew Prior of HGP looks to join his teammates at states and Matt Chiappertta of Phoenixville missed the cut off by 4 seconds last season as he looks to make another crack at it. 

Boys A
This should be a really fun team race to watch as New Hope-Solebury and Jenkintown tied last season. NHS returns everyone, but Jenkintown only loses their #2 guy. I’d keep an eye on this one if you’re at the meet. Greg Wagner dominated this meet last season and has done very well this season so he should win this meet again. Another name to watch (other than the guys on the top 2 teams) is Jonathan Capps of Christopher Dock who placed 7th a year ago. He looks to lead Christopher Dock into the team title conversation as they too return everyone from last year. Devon Prep who took 4th last season only loses their top guy. The team race could get crazy.




District 3 Virtual Meet -
I’ll be honest, I really, really don’t like District 3. I’ve never seen a group of more inconsistent people when it comes to races. I have no idea how times will turn out or places. I’m fairly confident with most of my previews, but this one could go very, very differently, so feel free to grill me on this one guys: (Top 20 Individuals Make it... Who are not going with a team)

  1. Jeff Groh -LD
  2. Patrick Reilly
  3. Zach Brehm - C
  4. Aaron Gebhart
  5. Cole Nissley - LD
  6. Aaron Lauer - RL
  7. Daniel Green
  8. Daniel Neiswender -CC
  9. Zach Seiger - RL
  10. Aiden Demko
  11. Jacob Connors
  12. Brian Delany
  13. Mitchell Coakley
  14. Michael Urban
  15. Willy Bragg – CC
  16. Will Sponaugle
  17. Xavier Guttierrez
  18. Jon Carroll – C
  19. Drew Wilkinson - RL
  20. Grant Fey
  21. Josh Santeusanio—LD
  22. Yahya Soliman
  23. Dominic Digiacomo
  24. Jesse Mills
  25. Jarrod Cruise – CC
  26. Kris Lizins
  27. Joe DeAngelo –C
  28. Colby Geary
  29. Duncan Brady
  30. Duncan Hopkins
  31. Sean Weidner
  32. Martin Conrad
  33. Chad Bomgardner
  34. Colby Geary
  35. Jared Luckanitz (Last Spot)

District 3 Virtual Team Championships (Top 4 Teams Advance)
Again, much like the individuals this could be very different. It’s hard to tell exactly where these Cedar Crest guys fall since they haven’t raced anyone yet. All I know is Neiswender had a great race and beat out a very good Brian Delany, quite handily and Willy Bragg was close on him. I think Delany bounces back however. So this could go very arry since I’m probably underestimating Ceder Crest’s ability.

  1. Lower Dauphin: 1, 5, 21, 31, 46 = 104
  2. Red Land : 6, 9, 19, 38, 59 = 132
  3. Carlisle: 3, 18, 27, 43, 46 = 137
  4. Ceder Crest : 8, 16, 25, 33, 60 = 142
  5. Twin Valley: 23, 26, 28, 34, 39 = 174



District 3 A
Brady Wilt dominated this race last season as just a sophomore and has had a very solid junior year so far. I fully expect him to easily take the title once again. In the team battle Veritas Academy look to defend their district title and I think they will do so, since they return their top 7 from last season. 

District 3 AA
Kyle Shinn is the top returner from last season and he’s looked great this year. He and teammate Jack Di Cintio just finished 2-3 at the Berks County Championships. The team battle looks fairly open this season. Shinn’s team Wyomissing Area ran well last weekend and beat a decent Schuylkill Valley team that returned everyone from last season, but they were only 13th in the district. I’ll be honest, I have no idea who will take the title this season.

--ForrestCRN

30 comments:

  1. Daniel Green is AA which means he will dominate the AA race. I don't see how he doesn't win.

    As for AAA Brehm got out kicked at Mid-Penns but I can almost guarantee that he wins. After two big wins for him this season he's got to be focused after his not so stellar performance at Mid-Penns. Brehm wins, and I also think his team will get 2nd. This is just my opinion though, I'm open to any debate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You put Colby Geary twice. 28th and 34th

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's that good.

      Delete
    2. It's probably his brother Colin who runs the same times.

      Delete
  3. D1. I believe DW and NP replace WCE and PB. I think depth of those teams will prevail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What happened to Moy in D1? Is he hurt? I'd think a course like Lehigh would favor his 800/1600 speed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forrest has never liked him. Maybe he owes him money or something?

      Delete
    2. Stop attacking Forrest, WCH has 7 people running so he must have assumed Moy was taking this week off and preparing for States.

      -RTJ

      Delete
    3. Why would he assume that?

      Delete
    4. You're right about Moy and Lehigh, it's a milers XC course if ever there was one. But he hasn't done anything yet in XC to show he should be top 50, though he'd be on my just missed list based on Chesmonts. He's the guy I thought with the most potential be right there with Russell/Barchet. So far, Stratman and Knapp have come up big, but I wouldn't count him out yet, especially on Lehigh.

      - RJJL

      Delete
    5. Apparently he's not running according to Forrest?

      Delete
    6. If he's running he should be in the top 50. Will Swart is NOT better than Kevin Moy.

      Delete
    7. Will Swart came up big at Chesmonts.

      Delete
    8. Kevin Moy beat Will Swart at Chesmonts... AND he's run faster than 16:22 on a very hilly course (oakbourne)...

      Delete
    9. I don't think Coach Kelly necessarily goes with the fastest guys at districts. It's strategy.. Who knows what configuration of Henderson guys will run at districts

      Delete
    10. RJJL knows, he always nails it, because he's actually coach Kelly.

      Delete
    11. Spoiler alert. Henderson is running everyone at Districts. The real race will be in the jv between DTW and WCH.

      Delete
    12. Moy was 53rd at Districts last year, I'd expect him to be at least top 50 this year-probably better than that.

      Delete
    13. My bad on Moy! For some reason I thought I read that he lost to Swart. If Moy races in Varsity (which he probably will) then I believe he can run 16:05. I don't have anything against Moy. At the start of XC I said he'd have to prove his XC prowless over Stratman, Collins, Knapp and other proven Henderson XC guys despite his track credentials, which are fantastic. He still has yet to prove that this season. So I wouldn't say I have anything against him.

      --ForrestCRN

      Delete
    14. You may be correct that WCH will rest someone this week. Swart can certainly provide depth.

      Delete
    15. DTW JV will most likely beat the WCH JV

      Delete
  5. Top 10 individuals:
    1. Tony Russell
    2. Ross Wilson
    3. Chris Cummings
    4. Casey Comber
    5. Reiny Barchet
    6. Chris Kazanjian
    7. Matt Kazanjian
    8. Jake Brophy
    9. Sam Webb
    10. Eric Diestelow

    Top 6 teams:
    1. Henderson
    2. CRN
    3. Stoga
    4. DTW
    5. PB
    6. WCE

    I pushed WCE in the past and they made it through, this time I'm pushing DTW and I believe they will make it through as well. I think they will have all 5 of their runners between 16:05-16:45. I'll take heat for it, but I took heat for WCE last year.

    -RTJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If DTW makes top 5, they will be lucky. That young team is showing their inexperience-they look tired.
      East came up big at Chesmonts but they are seriously lacking after #3.
      I agree with your top 3, RTJ, just not in that order. I see Cummings, Russell and Wilson and I don't see Barchet in the top 10-he hasn't looked like last years Barchet. But he'll likely be top 20.
      That's all I got.

      Delete
    2. DTW had the misfortune of running Bulldog, and a lot of hype and expectations followed those Bull.... times.

      Delete
    3. Do the Oakbourne times not count either?

      Delete
    4. i would say they're about as accurate measure of someone's fitness as carlisle. its slightly shorter than a 5k, but its a very hard race. I would expect people to be able to run about 15-25 seconds faster at districts than they ran there if its a nice day.

      Delete
    5. If Reiny looked like he did last year I'd honestly have WCH going 1-2, but he just hasn't looked like that. Henderson is training for regionals/nationals though and Barchet comes on hard at the end of XC seasons so I won't count him out yet, just not that high for districts. I gave him the benefit of the doubt for 4th place.

      I know DTW has shown their inexperience and that's why I think on an easy course they will succeed. They've blown up on semi-challenging courses and I don't expect them to do well at the State meet (no offense...) but I think on the easy districts course they excel. They ran well at Oakbourne and that's the course I go by, not bulldog.

      I agree 100% that Lehigh is a milers course (see Drew Magaha and Ned Willig 2011 season) but I was just explaining why I thought Forrest didn't list Moy. He probably thinks he's resting this week.

      -RTJ

      Delete
  6. You have Martin Conrad as the second to last individual in, but he didn't run at YAIAA Championships. I don't know if he is hurt or not. There are a few guys that I think will get to states not on your list.

    1: JD Groff-Central York-He's had a breakout season, 16:19 @ LVC Dutchmen
    invite and 16:29 @ YAIAA.

    2: Ben Wilson-Central Dauphin-Another guy with a solid season so far. 16:36 at
    Carlisle and 16:53 at Mid-Penn.

    3: Taylor Gardner-Spring Grove-17:00@Carlisle & 16:56 @ YAIAA. A bit of an
    upset pick here, but he is moving in the right direction.

    4: Alex Miller-Red Lion-16:52@Carlisle and 17:00@YAIAA. Only a sophomore,
    he tends to run well at the right times. Also a bit of an upset pick.

    Finally, I think Brehm takes the win in 16:20, followed by Reilly, Groh, Lauer, and Gebhart to round out the top 5.

    -GBC

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you about D3 Forrest. There is talent there for sure but much inconsistency too. I have a feeling Brehm is going to win this one though. He shows up big for big races.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My prediction for D3

    1.Brehm
    2.Reilly
    3.Groh
    4.Gebhart
    5.Nissley
    6.Lauer
    7.Seiger
    8.Demko
    9.Neiswender
    10.Delany
    11.Coakley
    12.Carroll
    13.Connors
    14.Frey
    15.Wilkinson

    As far as teams go its up in the air. LD have great low sticks in Groh and Nissley as do Red Land in Lauer and Seiger with a really good number 3 in Wilkinson. Carlisle has who should be the winner and then a fairly good 2-3 and then number 5 is better than both Red Land's and LD's. In the end I can see any 3 of these teams take it, for now I think I'm picking Red Land.

    ReplyDelete